06 January, 2010

on snuggies and Hitchcock

I have a lovely post created in my mind...a post full of pictures chronicling my adventures in Texas. Unfortunately, all of my lovely pictures for said post are on our laptop and, shock of all shocks, it's dead. Thus, my lovely post will have to wait.

Being as I finished reading my book at 1 am and our departure is scheduled for 5, I determined it would be wiser to stay up instead of sleeping for two and half hours and waking up disgruntled with achey eyes. I hate those achey eyes you get when you haven't had your full measure of sleep. Two and half hours is definitely not my full measure of sleep.

So here I am. And instead of the perfect little post I had planned, I am simply writing. It seems a fitting thing to do at 1 am in the grandparents' drafty old mansion. It is so cold in this den that out of sheer desperation, I have stooped to one of the lower realms I will ever stoop to in my life. I am wearing a snuggie. And yes, you read that right. A snuggie. Did I mention that it is very, very cold in this house? Please don't hold it against me. Sometimes certain situations make people do things...

Two nights ago we watched Rope. All I had to hear were the names Alfred Hitchcock and Jimmy Stewart, and I had the remote in one hand and hot chocolate in the other. (One needs hot chocolate in the vain attempt to stay warm in this house.) Jimmy Stewart, by definition, did not disappoint. Alfred, on the other hand did not do his best work in the creation of Rope. In the very first scene you observe young-and-in-love Tom get strangled. He is then directly stuffed into a chest, which serves as the supper table for the party hosted by the killers that evening. I usually cotton to creepy movies like Hitchcock, but with all the adjectives I have used to describe the grandparents' house, I have yet to use eerie. I will do so directly. The grandparents' house is eerie late at night. Did I mention we just finished watching a suspenseful and frightening movie, and all of the family had gone to bed while I finished editing some pictures? So here I am in this drafty, old, eerie house, with all of the lights out. I dash up the stairs with my heart pounding, grab my pajamas, and then begin the quest. You see, our bedroom is at one end of a very long, bookshelf-lined, black-as-night hallway. The bathroom is at the other end. There are plenty of places along the way for a menace to hide with a piece of rope, just waiting for poor, very-much-suspecting me to walk past.

And yet, here I am to tell about it. Although I'm sure I lost several years off of my life that night, at least I'm still alive, right?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha! I didn't even know what a snuggie was until a certain resident at the Villa told me what they were because she had gotten two for Christmas. :) Rope isn't one of my favorites, but I like how Jimmy Stewart sees the faultiness in his logic and reasoning about murder, people's worth, etc. in the end.

Rebecca said...

lol!! delicious fear! This may sound crazy but I actually love it when something terrifies me that much. I mean, a book or something, not an ACTUAL freaky event. One night I stayed up until the wee hours reading Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" It was SO windy outside and I couldn't put the book down... I was certain someone was going to jump out and attack me.

And what's wrong with Snuggies? I have a Snuggie and I LOVE it!

Incomplete said...

ha. I don't know which is worse, you stooping to snuggie level or watching scary movies by yourself.

I vaguely remember that one. It's hard to go wrong with Jimmy.

Have you seen The Naked Spur? That is my all time favorite Jimmy Stewart movie. Because it's so NOT Jimmy Stewart or at least not what he usually plays.


And don't you love how houses come alive at night? And how the older a house is, the more alive it becomes? Isn't that funny? We get older and life sucks the life out of us, but houses become more alive.

(Also with a shameless plug, it sounds like your grand parents need a Residential Remodeler to help cut down on those drafts. Have van, will travel.)

huntinguy said...

A SNUGGIE! :0

Anonymous said...

Did you like the movie???

Erica said...

Becca, I totally agree that it is a delicious fear! I love getting majorly creeped out by a movie or book - that's why Agatha Christie's are so awesome! They scare me to death in that really good way. :)

Tyson, I will definitely have to add The Naked Spur to our Netflix que. I love watching new Jimmy Stewarts. And yes, I definitely agree that my grandparents need to do something!

Kayla, I liked the movie ok...it was interesting to watch Jimmy Stewart's character solve the murder, but I don't think it's the best Hitchcock out there.

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

Snuggies are stupid looking and over-commercialized..

But they are still awesomely warm and useful, considering that it's barely been above 20 for weeks now...:-)

I've actually never seen ROPE, (shocking, I know) *adds to list* but And Then There Were None, had me very creeped out. Hound of Baskervilles, too, oh and of course The Convent Horror, is by definition, horrifically creepy.