28 December, 2009

Application Essays. Oh joy.

I am just about finished with one of the essays I have to write over break! I am hoping to get the second one finished this week so I can get back on facebook soon! On the other hand...maybe I should just stay off - one of my good friends actually called me last night! Called me! On my phone! Unbelievable. I am certain it is because I haven't been on facebok for the last two weeks. =)

Anywho, this is the first paragraph of my essay for Clarkson College.

A ninety-three year old woman with wispy grey hair and bright blue eyes sits alone at the nursing home where I work. Some days she remembers my name, on others she can’t, but it doesn’t make any difference. When she hears my voice ask if she remembers me, she simply replies “One hundred five” with a quirk of smile. She is referring to a day when I told her I loved her so much, I wanted her to live to be 105. A couple of weeks ago, I walked into her room, gave her a hug, and said “My dear, you are precious.” “I’m what?” she incredulously asked, in her shaky little voice. “You’re precious, and I hope you know that.”

7 comments:

The Von Eight said...

aww! that is so sweet!


and excellant writing, btw

;)

Hanna

Anonymous said...

Wow... Every time I hear that you are going to college it seems wierd! I can't believe that soon you and Kourtney will be away at college, and Merrill and I will be sitting at home...*sniff*

Sheila said...

*hugs* You are wonderful. I called you too! But you weren't there! So I'll try again. :-)

Erica said...

Thanks for the comment, Hanna! I really miss your blogging!

Yeah, Kayla...I guess you will just have to send us lots of letters and frequent college-freshman care packages! I like .5 lead mechanical pencils, and I don't like the kind of hot cocoa mix that has fakey marshamallows already mixed in. Oh, and I really like Subway if you're looking for gift card ideas. ;)

Yes, Sheila, please do try again! I really need to talk to my we-relate-to-each-other-perfectly buddy! Five bucks what has been going on with me spiritually is quite similar to you. Isn't it always that way? :) I <3 you!

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

I've been reduced to be referred to as "one of your good friends"?????

:D

Do we get to read the whole essay??

Moriah A. said...

Great job on that story :) I so had a mental image :) I love the details that sum up the emotions exactly :) Awesome Job :)

Lil red said...

Great start! I would love to read the whole thing.

It's going to be really sad once you go off to college. I hope we get to see each other often.