25 November, 2009

via-DOC...

People, the day of jubilation has arrived. Let me explain.

I was scramming my way to Columbus this afternoon to run a few hurried errands before Thanksgiving. I was on the south edge of town mentally preparing myself for the boundless trek through winding downtown streets. See, the viaduct had been closed since February 2nd, requiring local traffic to make a hefty detour through downtown and across the tracks (often resulting in a long wait for an apathetic train).

Where was I? Oh, yes. Moving into the left lane so that I could continue to the agitating detour. I flipped off my turn signal, looked up, and - lo and behold! - one of those electronic-highway-construction-imformation-signs hailed me: "VIADUCT NOW OPEN. DRIVE SAFE."

After cringing from the atrocious grammar, I did a double-take. The viaduct? Open? The source of all my pain and suffering for the entire semester - open? For traffic? For me?!

I called my mom...and then had the time of my life driving up, up, and over the railroad tracks! No four-way stops, no tracks, no long waits....

Oh, I'm happy.

(you can see pictures of this glorious project here. =] )

3 comments:

Miss Alice said...

O.M.Goodness, Erica, I never realized that that stinkin' viaduct and detour were the source of all your pain and suffering for the entire semester! So glad to see that your next semester will be pain free! I can hardly wait to sail over that new beauty myself. Will it erase all my stress?

Unknown said...

Exactly what I experienced yesterday! Except, I called Amanda instead of my mom. :) I almost took a right anyway for old times sake. I was amazed how quick it was getting into town, giving us another thing to be thankful for this Thanksgiving! :)

Anonymous said...

Did you cut your hair? I was just on Lydias blog and say her pictures of you and her.